November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving Recap

I know that I already wrote about Thanksgiving, but this one is one that I don't want to forget for years to come. I think we have all gotten to the point where we have to laugh about things or we are going to lose it.
For Thanksgiving my cousin JD who just graduated was flying in surprise EVERYONE. I was so excited that I was in on it. However things didn't really go according to plan. Dad ended up in the hospital and Grandma wasn't feeling well. The surprise was starting to sizzle, but JD made his entrance at my house and there was not a dry eye in the house. My mom said it is just what she needed and she was right. Later that day we all made our way over to the hospital to visit with Dad and again there was not a dry eye around. JD went in not fully gowned or gloved up so my Dad could somewhat tell who it was. It took him a minute and then the tears were all flowing. It was so nice that my Dad got to see both of his kids and his nephew on the same day.

We were hoping to have Dad home on Saturday to do a Thanksgiving dinner. So Friday night my Mom stayed up late prepping EVERYTHING only to wake up Saturday morning to a broken refrigerator.All of her hard work and prep ended up in the trash. At this point you really have to just laugh. We happened to have a second turkey and we pieced together a dinner. Unfortunately Dad had to stay in the hospital and we soon realized that none of us knew how to carve a turkey. We had probably the saddest looking carved up turkey, but it was delicious. We all said next year we are going to take lessons from Dad.

This Thanksgiving was definitely one for the books. I know that next year will be better. By next year Dad will hopefully have kicked cancer and I will have an almost one year old niece or nephew. We can't wait to meet Baby Crawford.  So exciting!

Dad looking at us still trying to figure out how JD got there. Not a dry eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment