October 30, 2013

Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Lesson #1 DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE HALLOWEEN TO TRY ON STORE BOUGHT COSTUMES
This is the first year that the kids did not want to do a family theme. Well I should clarify, Emmeline didn't want to. I knew the day would come just didn't think it would be at 5. She found the costume she loved at the store and so did Caden so we went ahead and bought them. Since Caden decided he wanted to be Mario from Super Mario Brothers we thought it would be cute to have Jackson be Luigi. No stores carried the costume but I found a 2-4t online and ordered it. I assumed a 2t-4t would fit with plenty of room. Since I have always made their costumes there were always several moments when I needed them to try it on so I could hem or pin in certain spots. Good thing I decided to try on the costumes today because Jackson must be a giant in China or wherever his costume was made. The poor kid was so  smushed into his costume.
So after daddy got home. I headed out in search of something to work for Luigi.
Lesson #2 - DO NOT GO TO THE OUTLETS WHEN IT'S DARK
I know that the Fairfield Mall is totally off limits at night, but I assumed the outlets is totally safe. Well I can't be certain but I'm pretty sure I was witness to some ladies who were trying to pass stolen checks. The ladies and their friends already seemed really out of place in the Osh Gosh outlet and then they threw in their over the top friendlyness and wanting to chit chat and distract the poor girl ringing them up and I was thinking this was all bad. Surprising the first check they tried to use wouldn't read in the machine, then they didn't have an ATM card, the other girl's ATM card was demagnetized, and then suddenly they found a different check book. But wouldn't you know as I'm finally being helped by someone else I hear them ask for an ID and the girl can't find it. My secret long ago dream of being an FBI agent came out and I'm thinking COME ON, this is a SCAM. I was feeling really bad for the girls helping them. When I was done I casually went to the connecting store and was acting like I was shopping but was trying to see what was playing out. After waiting a little bit and the girl still digging looking for an ID I casually told the worker in the other store that the customer seems to be dragging out process and I'm not sure if they need some "extra" help. I gave her a certain look. I was hoping she got my vibe. I headed to my van and thought I would write a few license plates down that looked sketch and then decided that I would put my mom hat back on and go home. 
After the crazy evening, I'm happy to report that Jackson will now have a semi homemade costume that will actually cover his legs and will not look like a wresting singlet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment