September 29, 2014

Barn Diving


Today we woke up to another beautiful day in Iowa. We decided it was time to tackle the barn. My Great Uncle thought us California girls were INSANE for wanting to pick through the barn.

We found lots of junk, lots of mice, chipmunks, I touched some pretty gross stuff, but it was worth it. We found some really cool things. Some of the things my Uncle shook his head. He could not get over the fact that people collect old windows and canning jars. They were in a pile of junk that he was going to have someone cart away. I can't believe it!!!! We found some really cool old tools that got my Uncle telling us some great stories. My Dad and Uncle had fun putting together the old milk separator and explaining the pickling jugs. What a way of life back! As much as my Uncle thought we were crazy I think he had fun picking through things and telling us how things worked. I kind of begged for him not get rid of the chicken house windows when that comes down and I really want the old door knobs in the farm house. Again, he gave me a weird look.

After picking we spent some time on the farm and had professional pictures taken. It breaks my heart that my Grandma will never go back to the farm. I love going back there and hearing all the stories and seeing the house that she was raised in. It will always be so special. I am so sad that my kids may never get a chance to see it. There is nothing like it. The gravel road, corn and beans all around, the sound of the crickets, the old water pump out back, and the small main street with the famous broasted chicken. Life is different and beautiful there.

No comments:

Post a Comment