August 26, 2015

Sunriver

Sunriver was just what we needed after our CRAZY summer. We officially win for the craziest summer. I tell people that and they keep trying to top it and then I keep adding to our list. I mean who really has a child in the hospital, a child with lice, a birth, a death, another child having surgery, and then a fire at their home????
We headed to Sunriver in the wee hours of the morning like we normally do and I had stayed up late to finish the packing since Daddy went to bed super early to drive. I  finally headed to bed for 3 hours to find that Daddy hadn't fallen asleep! Ugghhh..... After driving about 30 minutes on the road Chris had me take over the driving. That NEVER happens - so on 3 hours of sleep and a very large Coke I got us going on our road trip. After about 15 minutes on the road my check engine light came on. I didn't want to say it, but I was kind of thinking with our luck this summer that my van breaking down was next on the list of things to happen. I decided that we were in the middle of no where and we were just going to keep trucking! Thankfully we made it to our Sunriver house, unloaded our packed to the roof van, and the light came off!!!
We spent the next 5 days at my happy place with one of our favorite families the DeTars. The kids were beside themselves that we were staying in the same house. We lucked out and managed to get an incredible house that had the perfect floor plan for our two families. During our trip our family had some firsts. Caden and Emmeline biked to river all by themselves with no training wheels. Daddy was super happy he didn't have to haul a heavy bike trailer. We made it this year to the horse stables. I came out to find Emmeline on a pony with a borrowed helmet on her head when I sent her with HER HELMET!!! I really thought I was going to have a panic attack and Chris was standing their just smiling because he knew I was going to go crazy! A couple more firsts... Emmeline biked all the way to Village, was tall enough for the water slides, and the family went on their first rafting trip. Thankfully we opted to do the nighttime family float that was half the distance. I don't think we would have survived the full trip. Jackson only almost fell in once. I was not allowed to paddle after getting us all turned around and kept making us go in circles. We only crashed into one group of trees,  stayed on course and didn't get into the wild rapids, saw a beaver, had a little fun competition with our fellow rafters the DeTars, and swatted away a ton of bugs, but we had a ton of fun! Oh did I mention that our raft and the DeTars were the VERY LAST rafts to make it back in. We will just say our story is that we were enjoying a nice relaxing night on the river and it had nothing to do with our lack of paddling skills. Thankfully there were still s'mores and a good ole sing along with the most precious old cowboy still waiting for us.
We had such a blast this year. The trip went way too fast. I am already counting down until we can go back to my happy place!

No comments:

Post a Comment