August 2, 2015

Socks

Today I had an opportunity to help with an amazing event. Today we helped 20 foster kids in our area go back to school shopping. I was paired up with the sweetest 5 year old boy going into kindergarten. He was so excited to get his own, new socks, and "cool" underwear. I just about lost it when he asked if he could have some real pajamas because he doesn't have any. It was so much fun and he was so impressed that i knew all the Ninja turtles, Superheroes, and Star Wars. Kohls had some amazing sales and he was able to get a lot of needed items. I wish I could have snapped a picture because he was beside himself that he could get a Ninja Turtle sweatshirt that has a turtle mask. It's the same one Jack has, the same one that Jack could care less about and yet this sweatshirt was like Christmas morning. I met so many great kids and people who work or volunteer for CASA. What an important organization with not enough help. During donuts and juice the kids got some treats from Chick-Fil-A. One of the things was a small stuffed cow. They could not stop playing With them. Meanwhile my kids have destroyed or thrown away at least four of them. 
It wrap up the event we were able to get backpacks donated and I am setting up a lunchbox drive on Saturday at Chick Fil A. It really was heart wrenching to see these kids and hear their story. I almost lost it in front of the big boys when they were showing their newest prized possession a pair of Nikes. They were so happy to have "real" shoes not a generic brand. I can not wait to collect lunch boxes for these kiddos and to help with a another event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment