July 15, 2015

Structure Fire

Yesterday afternoon was a whirlwind! We had many moments we hope to never have again. Never did I think we would be on the Vacaville Police Facebook page . Wow, the number of texts after they posted the picture of our house was unreal. And I hope to never get another call from VVFD telling me they are at our house and they are putting out a fire. The whole event still doesn't seem real. My caller ID was showing Ryan calling. When I answered he told me he was at my house. I wasn't surprised because his kids were coming over for a play date, but he then he told us he was at our house for work. I think we assumed the hills were on fire.  I'll never forget his next words... We stopped it, the house is okay. I think I was slightly sick to my stomach. We hit every red light getting home. I just couldn't picture what we were going to see. We approached our street and i knew it wasn't good. Seeing police blocking the street and then 3 large fire trucks wasn't good. 
We walked up to a scene that left us speechless. We will forever grateful to Vacaville Fire Department and the neighbor boy who called it in. They told us today that it was about 30 seconds from being all bad. Windows were blown out, paint on the house it bubbling, blinds  and curtains were singed, and then there is a mess of melted trash cans, sheds, and charred fence. It smells like a campfire in our house and we have boards over our broken windows, but we also have a roof over our head. It could have been so bad.
It's easy for Chris and I to understand all of this, but it's a little harder for the kids. Emmeline is very emotional and scared. She is afraid the fire will come back. Caden is afraid that his toys and teddy will burn even though the fire is out. I'm not sure if it's the smell or since they can see the mess out back that they think the fire can come back? Breaks my heart. Then there is Jack. He loved seeing all the trucks in front of the house. When the firemen were there he asked when the fire would move in the house. I was telling the guys that he wants to be a firemen. That statement then led to an interegation. They wanted to know where was and if he ever goes back to that area. Oh geez... Good thing he wasn't home and has an alibi. We are still waiting for the official report and for insurance to come so we can clean up, but we are so thankful! We are not taking for granted how it so quickly could have had a different outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment