October 10, 2012

On the Other Side of the Table

Being a teacher I have sat in dozens of IEPs. Today I had the opportunity to sit on the other side of the table. Today I was Mom. I have to say it was very odd. Reflecting on it now I feel so sad for so many of the other parents who have to go through this horrible, long, process. I am lucky to be somewhat familiar of the rules, acronyms, and the process because of my job. But I am really blessed to have family who know the system inside and out. There are so many families out there who I think really don't know or understand their rights and probably are not getting the best for their child.
After the meeting I am mentally drained.  I am not feeling like we won the race today, but my wise Father-in-Law reminded me to think of it not as a sprint but a marathon. So today we ran a leg 1 of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment