October 14, 2014

How much is too much???

Well the past few weeks the kids have been pushing me on this in all areas.  Having 2 very inquisitive six year olds I am always on my toes. Last week at football the kids did not miss a thing in noticing all the craziness. They were very aware of the players crying, the boys walking out with a framed jersey, a large picture, the 3 news trucks, and the bleachers on the other end of the football field. They kept asking what happened and the answer of one of Daddy's players died wasn't enough. I decided to maybe not sugar coat things and turn this into a lesson. We had a great discussion about guns which my kids have never really seen. They call them blasters and really only imagine them looking like Buzz Lightyear's blaster or from Star Wars. I decided to talk about ways people might use guns to hunt for food or police to protect people. I went into gun safety and if they ever spot one to not touch and tell a grown up. Emmeline got that down as later in the week she spotted the toy red rider bb gun in Daddy's closet. She came right up to me and told me she found a gun.
They were doing so good with all of the it and I was thinking, "Man, I nailed this!" Well, Emmeline couldn't get past the thought that the doctors couldn't save him. She kept asking where he was shot. I finally went ahead and told her that he was shot in the head. I was quickly greeted with a sassy response of - Yikes,  Mom that was too much. I didn't need to know that. So apparently I learned my lesson of what was too much.

I am so proud of my husband, my father in law, the coaches, the players, and all the Bulldogs for the way they handled such a tough situation. It has been such a sad experience and one that I hope we never have to deal with again.

No comments:

Post a Comment