November 10, 2016

The Day After Decision Day

I tucked in two kids who were rooting for two different people.  It was very funny to me how that came to be? It's funny what they pick up on at school from teachers and on the playground. Their Dad and I have always kept to ourselves who we are voting for and make it a point not to show them too much news. I had one go to bed not wanting a female because she did illegal stuff and another who doesn't want Trump because he is worried his friend will have to go back to Mexico. What a crazy, crazy time that my 8 year olds are coming home and telling me this. So as I stayed up in the wee hours of the morning to see who our president would be and I thought to myself, "what will I tell the kids in the morning?" I knew one would take it harder then the other. So in the morning they came in my room eager to hear the news. We had to have a heart to heart way earlier then I was wanting and on way little sleep. I don't know if it is right but here is what I told them. If the person who you wanted won, please don't gloat about it at school and be gracious and if the person you didn't want won well... that's the thing about democracy. The cool thing is we live in a democratic country. And we are lucky for that. (I really need to break out the School House Rocks Songs this weekend to help explain democracy better and the whole checks and balances.) I reminded them just like at home with our choices sometimes you like them  and sometimes you don't. I also reminded them that they may not like who won and they may hear a lot of stuff at school but he is going to be our new President and we are going to respect him and the system. I tried my best to explain that is what makes America so great. Let's hope President Trump doesn't prove us wrong and makes wise choices. At this point I guess all we can do is pray for him to humble and surround himself with wise counsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment